Friday, August 14, 2009

The Floating Village

I went to a floating village on the huge lake that divides Cambodia in half (the Tonle Sap) today. This village has everything- including wats, cell phone shops, butcheries, farms, gas stations- all floating on the lake. People get around on tiny boats that are painted brilliant colors from one floating platform to the next. Apparently crime in the floating villages is pretty high due to the lack of opportunity and resources that these people are afforded living on the outskirts of a giant lake, pretty far removed from the closest town or village. There are also issues with water sanitation- the water is used for everything from cooking, cleaning, waste, etc. etc. and there is no way of sanatizing the water except for boiling water which we weren't sure if that was a practice that people employed frequently or not. All that being said, it was a beautiful and unique part of Cambodia that I had never heard about before.

In other news, I was told by one of my bosses last week that I have been accepted as one of 10 health volunteers here in Cambodia. We will be the first group to seriously focus on health issues in Cambodia as Peace Corps Volunteers (as this is only the third year that Peace Corps has been in Cambodia). Basically what this means is that in addition to teaching in a high school at my permanent site four days a week, I will also spend one to two days at the local clinic conducting community needs assesments and building health programs around the needs of my community. This will be an amazing opportunity for me to reach out to my community beyond the borders of my school, and to show the government of Cambodia that Peace Corps can expand into other sectors of the Cambodian culture than just education. I still have five weeks of training to go before I move to permanent site (I still don't even know where that will be yet), but I cannot wait to get started. As for now, I will enjoy spending time with my other trainees, and learning as much as I can about Cambodia before I officially become a volunteer.

xoxo,
K

2 comments:

  1. hey katie,

    thanks for giving a crusty old city dog something to smile at.

    devin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, Katie. Congratulations on your placement in Cambodia!

    My name is Mike and I was a PCV in Africa for 3 years (2005-2008 in Cape Verde and then Botswana). Am taking a trip with my sister to Cambodia for two weeks in June 2010.

    (1.) Are there particular types of clothing that are most appropriate to wear here? Should we wear local clothing? What would that be and how much does it cost?
    (2.)How much is the most basic phone (Nokia?) and where is the best place to get them in Siem Reap?
    (3.) Are there any medicines/personal items that it would be wise to pack (we are trying to travel lightly) or is buying locally the best?
    (4.) Does Peace Corps view the Ankhor temples and Cardamom Mountains as safe places to travel?
    (5.) What immunizations are required of PCVs for Cambodia?
    (6.) Do you know of any PCVs that might be interested in hanging out with us/helping expose us to local families/culture in the areas of SR, PP, and the Cardamom mountain area?

    Thanks a million and if you have any advice whatsover, feel free to lay it on.

    Peace and Thanks for doing what you are doing!!

    Mike

    ReplyDelete