Saturday, September 26, 2009

Its Gonna Be A While

Today I head out to permanent site. As training is over and we have officially been sworn in as volunteers, it is now time to move to our respective permanent sites all over the country and begin the work we are now prepared to do. My community is small, and very isolated but I am ready to rise to the challenge. I am as prepared as I think I can be for an adventure like this. I will get to my site late in the afternoon today (its about a seven hour trip by bus from Phnom Penh to my site) where I will meet my family for the first time. Tomorrow I will go to the school and meet the teachers as well as some of the students while we all help to get the school campus ready for the school year which may or may not start this week (it depends on the school). For the first month of my service at site I will observe the different English teachers in my school to learn about how they teach, and then talk with them about which ones want to work with me as my co-teachers. I will work 16-20 hours in the school, and then spend a half-day or two each week at my site's health clinic getting to know the staff there as well as the patients. Really the first few months of service will be about observing my community, figuring out how it functions, making friends and meeting people, and then starting the process of where I can fit in to help my community in the ways they find the most effective.

Hopefully over the next two years I will be able to keep this blog updated at least once a month. It will not be easy- I am over 90k away from the closest reliable internet. I really want to keep everyone in the loop, so as some of yall will be recieving post cards and letters, please share those with others who are interested. Like I said, I will try to keep this as up-to-date as possible throughout my service, but as with anything while serving in conditions I will be, anything and everything can change from day to day.

Love to all,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment