Thursday, November 26, 2009

Advice from Cambodian Teenagers

This past week was exam week at the high school. My co-teachers and I wrote tests for each of our classes trying to figure out fair ways to assess the students. The following sentences are pearls of wisdom from my students in Grade 11A in response to the directions "Write five sentences using 'must' or 'must not'".

On Love:
-You must die for me.
-I must not love you. [There were many variations of this sentence using different pronouns. So dramatic!]
-She mustn't betray me.

On School Etiquette:
-I must study English for my family and for myself. [This one warmed my heart a little]
-Whole teacher must not smoke in the classroom. [I agree?]
-Students mustn't drink wine at school.

On Social Etiquette:
-She mustn't kill the dog. [If you ever studied linguistics, this sentence should seem eerily familiar... and no, I didn't solicit it]
-You must not hit my kid.

The Best for Last:
-He mustn't destroy bush. [???? I don't even know how 'bush' was being used in the sentence, but it was both grammatically (almost) correct and hilarious]
-I must do PP next week. [hehehehehe... oh my sense of humor is that of a five year-old. Oh, and PP is short for Phnom Penh]

11A has 65 students in it, but they are my best and brightest. They are the only class so far that after 6 weeks of teaching don't still stare at me like I have snakes growing out of my head (oh that wide-eyed look of terror!).

Happy Thanksgiving yall!

No comments:

Post a Comment